Several people, across age-groups, all over the world, irrespective of their gender, suffer from hair loss. But not many people are aware of the various reasons why it is caused. While the major reason for hair loss is genetic (Androgenetic Alopecia), certain external conditions are also accounted to be responsible for the condition. Most people, thus, tend to believe in misconceptions spread regarding the condition rather than trying to find out the real truth behind it. So, through this blog, today, I would aim to bring to the fore all the common misconceptions about the condition and expose the real truth behind them.
Common Myths about Hair Loss
Reasons apart from genetic balding such as hormonal fluctuations, hair styling products, stress, medical treatments, and side-effects of medications also increase the rate of hair loss and if you are losing more than two hundred strands each day, you must get in touch with a hair transplant surgeon. Some of the most common misconceptions behind extreme hair fall are:
- Too much shampooing causes it: Hair grows in a cycle that consists of stages such as the Anagen, Catagen, and Telogen. It is quite normal for any person to lose hair during the Telogen phase and that is precisely why the Anagen (growth) phase becomes important. So, too much shampooing would not cause hair loss, but it is always recommended that you moderate your shampoo usage for the better.
- Regularly wearing caps and hats trigger extreme hair loss: As mentioned, hair fall mostly depends on the hair growth phase and has got nothing to do with the regular usage of hats or caps. Instead, wearing a hat or a cap regularly can in fact help save your hair from the harmful UV rays of the sun, pollution, and even dirt particles.
- Maternal genes are solely responsible for it: As a hair transplant surgeon in India myself, I have encountered several people mentioning that the maternal genes are the only ones responsible for causing the hair loss. The truth, however, is that every human being is a mix of both the parents’ genes and your tendency of hair loss cannot be blamed on the genes of any one parent. It is the combination of both that can cause the condition.
So, what is the best solution to the condition?
See, the best solution to excessive hair loss is going for a permanent surgical procedure that can leave you with optimum results. Hair transplant surgery is one where the healthy hair follicles are taken from the safe donor area of your head and then transplanted to the balding site (recipient area). The hair that grows after the procedure is complete, happens at the natural growth rate and doesn’t shed anymore. The treatment is performed by professionals in primarily two ways:
- FUT or Strip Surgery: Now known as the Linear Excision Method, this surgery is where a strip of healthy hair bearing scalp is taken from the back of the head (safe donor area) and then slivered to take out follicular grafts from them, leaving a visible scar on the area. These grafts are then implanted to the recipient balding area.
- Follicular Unit Excision: FUE is a technique where a low-torque, low-RPM round punch device is used to directly take out the follicles from the scalp and then implanted to the recipient site. This technique leaves tiny linear scars on the head which heals with time easily.
Other ways of performing the procedure by experts include special area hair transplant, preview long hair transplant, unshaven hair transplant, and beard and moustache hair transplant. The top notch professionals of the field are also specialized in UGraft™ Punch Excision method, celebrity hair transplant, and repair transplant as well.
Ways you can keep your hair in good condition
Since Androgenetic Alopecia is a genetic disorder, it is not something that you can completely stop from happening. If you are suffering from the condition and get your transplant surgery done on one particular area, you might still be facing hair fall on the untouched areas of the scalp. However, the only thing that is in your hands is taking good care of your hair and ensuring the process is as delayed as possible. Some of the things you can do to keep your hair in good condition are:
- Using a high-grade shampoo that is specially formulated to deal with hair loss.
- Avoiding any over the top hairstyles on the lines of a tight bun or ponytail as they might stretch your hair and loosen it from the root.
- Using Vitamin-D in both your hair care plan and regular diet to have healthy hair and skin.
- Making sure you oil your hair properly to ensure the moisture level is perfect and your hair gets all the nourishment possible.
ABHRS certified doctors can help treat the same permanently
Even if you are suffering from this condition and maintain a good hair care routine isn’t working for you, it is best to consult professionals for the transplant surgery. Agra based Saraswat Hospital is known to be one of the best centers for hair transplant in India. It is led by two of the most renowned doctors in the field, both of whom are certified by the ABHRS (American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery), making them constantly aware of the recent updates in the field. The doctors also provide a customized treatment plan for each patient and use modern equipment to perform the same for optimum results.
Dr Satya Saraswat is an MS, MBBS, DNB, and M.Ch degree holder with a specialization in plastic surgery. He has received a Gold Medal for his outstanding achievements in the field and has a specialization in hair transplant surgery.
Dr Preeti Saraswat is a Clinical Cosmetologist from the University of Greifswald, Germany who has undertaken special training on laser technology to provide unmatched services to her patients.
Undergoing a hair transplant surgery in India is a crucial decision in any person’s life and it is your duty to understand what you are getting into before diving straight in. To discuss your condition with the experts, you can book a face to face appointment with them by contacting Saraswat Hospital today! Dial +91-9258386320, +91-9690039999.